On one of the most beautiful and the biggest islands on the Aegean Sea, the place full of natural resources, unspoiled landscape, delicious black olives and smiling people. It is Crete – an absolutely family friendly destination. To find a famous pink sand beach you will need to visit the Elafonissi Lagoon on the south west coast of the island.
Why we love Elafonissi?
- in mid October the place was almost deserted so we had all its beaches almost to ourselves but the weather was still good to swim
- the lagoon waters are crystal clear, transparent and shallow
- there are many beaches to explore with a few rocky spots ideal for snorkeling
- to get there you can take a small traditional boat (from a tiny town of Paleochora), which can be super exciting for kids (1 hour one way)
- the beaches are sandy white and pink:)
- we spotted an octopus there
- we could choose from many beaches, there were long stretches of sand on the main beach and small coves offering enough privacy, ideal for naturists
- the place is a nature reserve, it is clean and the landscape is simply stunning
- loads of places to explore for kids (dunes, rocks, white sand, mountains, coves, pink sand, boats)
- to get to the other side of the lagoon we had to wade through the water carrying all our things on our heads to protect them from getting wet. Kids simply loved it!
Things to consider:
In low season when boats and buses are not that frequent:
- take enough food and water with you as the local beach bar may be closed
- bring sunhats with you as there are not many shaded spots
- the boat comes back to pick you up but you need to remember its schedule and be there on time if you don’t want to miss it
Photos location: Elafonissi Lagoon, Crete
More on our Elafonissi adventure in:
We’ll write a fully child friendly app or game script for kids featuring your Family Products, Tourist Attraction, Services.
Available on Fiverr.com/kidsngo